Jul 18, 2010

Specialized

It's been great summer at Finland - almost too much sunshine for us Finns. Maybe it was the warm weather that messed my head, but I just *had* to get a new mountain bike. My old Wheeler 5900 is already a few years old and I thought it's time to add some fun to my exercise.

I updated myself with latest technology and terms by buying a bunch of magazines. I wanted a good and trusted brand, maybe something, which is a bit better than I would actually need (that's the fun part). Front suspension and disc brakes were main technical requirements. I don't compete or anything and my biking is not about transportation, but for fun & exercise.

You know, when you get in to the mood for something, you want to act quickly. Local technical magazine had tested nine mountain bikes under 1000 € price. Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp came second and based on the test results it suited best to my needs. Specialized was on my list of trusted brands, so I decided to go with the magazine's test results and act quickly - otherwise I would have to spend weeks studying different brands and options. Of course I did some online research, read bunch of reviews from other magazines and biking forums and found nothing which would have changed my mind. I gave the bike a test drive and it felt good.

In the end I decided to spend a bit more - just for the fun of it - and bought Specialized Rockhopper SL Pro. I made a deal with Sellon Pyörä. They gave me a fair price (small discount + basic accessories like SPD pedals, bar ends, lock and water bottle cage), but mostly I was impressed with their good attitude and promise of full free service after first 200-300 kilometers. I got couple of other offers and there was no meaningful differences with price.

Let's hope that we will have a warm and dry end of summer and autumn also. I'll have some serious biking to do.

1 comment:

  1. Sad, how after good first impression and closed deal, the dealer managed to make me loose my trust to them.

    Nothing big. Couple of small glitches with delivery, couple of comments which rub me in the wrong way.

    Made decision to get my bike's yearly maintenance from elsewhere, though.

    Trust is a funny thing.

    ReplyDelete